This desert looks beautiful every time, and it disappears fast too! There’s a chocolate brownie and toffee bar version, too, if you like that combination instead of fruit and angel food cake.
2 – 8 oz. cream cheese
2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup sour cream
2 1/2 tsp vanilla, divided
1/4 tsp almond extract
2 quarts mixed berries
4 Tbsp sugar, divided
1 pint whipping cream
1 angel food cake
- Cream together cream cheese and powdered sugar.
- Add sour cream, 2 tsp. vanilla, and almond extract. Mix together and set aside.
- In separate bowl, mix 2-3 Tbsp sugar (to taste) with mixed berries. Set aside.
- In separate bowl, whip 1 cup whipping cream, 1 Tbsp sugar and 1/2 tsp vanilla.
- Gently fold into cream cheese mixture.
- Cut angel food cake into 1-inch squares.
- In large bowl, fold cream cheese mixture and cake together until cake is thoroughly covered.
- In a trifle dish, layer fruit and cake (alternating), saving a little fruit for the top.
- Chill before serving.
*Can substitute one kind of berry instead of mixed (ie: strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, etc).
Source: Nancy Green