This is my mother-in-law’s recipe. Because it’s so yummy, we now have a difficult time eating salmon at restaurants because it just doesn’t compare to the flavors in this rub! You can triple the recipe if you desire, but beware: that makes a LOT! Can you say “year supply?” 🙂
3 Tbsp Kosher salt
2 Tbsp Sugar (granulated)
1 Tbsp Brown sugar
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp celery seed
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground fennel seeds
- Mix ingredient in a bowl and store in airtight jar.
- Preheat barbeque grill.
- If the fish is a little dry, rub a tiny bit of mayo or cooking spray before adding seasoning (we often skip this step because we don’t have dry fish).
- Sprinkle about a teaspoon of rub on top side of the fish (and a little on the sides if you wish), working it in with your fingers or the back of the spoon.
- Spray a piece of tin foil with cooking spray; place salmon on foil.
- Barbeque the salmon on the middle rack of the grill.
- Squeeze a little lime or lemon on fish while cooking.
- Do NOT turn fish. Cook until flaky (don’t overcook).
Source: Nancy Green