A tasty twist on traditional cornbread! Spiced up with some green chilis and add some cheese (I love things with cheese, too) and you’ll be surprised at how yummy these are.
1/2 cup softened butter
1 cup sugar
1 – 4 oz. can chopped green chilis
1 – 14 oz. can creamed corn
1/2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup cornmeal (or fresh ground popcorn)
1 1/2 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter, sugar and eggs thoroughly.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir until mixed.
- Spoon into greased muffin pans – 3/4 full
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Allow muffins to sit in pan on wire cooling rack for 5 minutes before removing.
- Cool on rack or serve warm.
*Yields: about 24 muffins
**The amount of butter and eggs in this recipe has been reduced by half from the original recipe to help reduce the calories, and because the muffins were so ‘wet’. You may not need to spread any butter on the muffins because they are quite buttery already!
Source: Shar’s Kitchen